The last few weeks have been a crazy time for everyone in the country and around the world. The Coronavirus outbreak has taken the world by storm like nothing many of us have seen before in our lifetimes with the last pandemic this size coming in the form of the Spanish flu towards the end of world war one.
The acceleration over the last week or so has been insane with many countries entering a lockdown period in order to kill this virus off and save lives. With this in mind we are going to take a look at how the United Kingdom are fighting the virus and what you can do to help protect yourself from infection.
The BBC have released the following statement on what you should be doing as an individual to prevent infection:
All members of the public should reduce the time they spend with others:
- Everyone should stop non-essential contact with others. This is particularly important for people over 70, those with underlying health conditions and pregnant women
- People should work from home if they can
- Cafes, pubs and restaurants have been closed from Friday night – except for take-away food – to tackle coronavirus.
- People should stop all unnecessary travel
- Those with the most serious health conditions – around 1.4 million including patients undergoing chemotherapy – should be shielded from social contact for 12 weeks. These patients will receive detailed guidance from the NHS.
- Anyone with a fever or persistent cough should stay at home for seven days if they live alone, or 14 days if they live with others.
- Anyone who lives with someone displaying coronavirus symptoms should also stay at home for 14 days. People who have to isolate themselves should ask others for help
These steps are targeting to help the NHS deal with the demand rather than just contain the virus in order to save lives. The peak is still to come and with many hospitals around the country filling up the stem of infections needs to be reduced and staggered to ensure everyone can get the treatment they require to fully recover.
In this time of need, everyone needs to help each other and be sensible so we can beat this thing. Everyone at Countrywide Windows wishes good health and a speedy recovery to anyone who contracts or is affected by this virus. Stay Safe.